Wednesday, September 30, 2009

39 weeks!

39 weeks!


How your baby's growing:

Your baby's waiting to greet the world! He continues to build a layer of fat to help control his body temperature after birth, but it's likely he already measures about 20 inches and weighs a bit over 7 pounds, a mini watermelon. (Boys tend to be slightly heavier than girls.) The outer layers of his skin are sloughing off as new skin forms underneath.

How your life's changing:

At each of your now-weekly visits, your caregiver will do an abdominal exam to check your baby's growth and position. She might also do an internal exam to see whether your cervix has started ripening: softening, effacing (thinning out), and dilating (opening). But even armed with this information, there's still no way for your caregiver to predict exactly when your baby is coming. If you go past your due date, your caregiver will schedule you for fetal testing (usually a sonogram) after 40 weeks to ensure that it's safe to continue the pregnancy. If you don't go into labor on your own, most practitioners will induce labor when you're between one and two weeks overdue — or sooner if there's an indication that the risk of waiting is greater than the risks of delivering your baby without further delay.

-------

Another week down, another day closer to baby being here. :o) Yesterday I was feeling pretty uncomfortable at school so I was telling people that maybe it would be my last day! Well...today I feel fine! And we have a meeting at 1;30, so I suppose I better head in for that. :o(

At any rate, tomorrow is my last day for sure. I already told my superintendent to make sure my sub would be here starting next Tuesday my due date. And at this rate, I'm pretty sure I won't have a baby by tomorrow.

I've still been feeling pretty good although after the show last night, my ankles had swelled to a greater degree than ever before! I think it was a combination of being in school all day (which they always swell during) and then sitting through a 3 hour show. I put them up during the night and then some more this morning and they are looking much better. I will be sooo glad when I can wear regular shoes again!

In other baby updates, I have an ultrasound scheduled for Friday to check the position of the baby. I feel like it is head down, but it will be fun to see the little baby again. It reminds me of a dream I had months ago where I had gotten another ultrasound and they told me the sex of the baby by accident and I was so mad!! I figured it would never happen because I wouldn't have another ultrasound but now....you never know! My dreams aren't usually prophecies, so I think I will be okay.

Stay tuned! :o)

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails