Monday, July 22, 2013

Fun at Furman Aquatic


The other day I suggested to Michael that we go to the little (free) wading pool at Ashby park. He looked hesitant and asked, "Is that a big pool or a little pool?" and I said it was little, with sprayers like the one at the rocket park. He looked even more hesitant and then he said, "maybe...kinda...I want to go to the park with the big bucket!". I had to think about that one a minute, until I realized he meant the Furman Aquatic Center in Ames which has a big red bucket that dumps water out on the kids periodically. I couldn't say no to my little boy so we packed up and headed north after naptime. 

It was about 95 degrees out and it just felt so good and summery to get out to the pool. We even ran into my sister! Luckily, it seemed like the crowd was thinning a little around 3:30 when we go there (yes...I do have an aversion to crowds). It so so much fun.



I am so surprised this year at how much more comfortable in the water Michael seems. I did make him wear his life jacket on the big slide but only because I was taking photos and wasn't there to catch him when he came down (there are awesome lifeguards down there right at the end of the slide to watch for kids). He actually did great and didn't need me to catch him with or without his lifejacket. I am so proud of him. 


However, I think our wading pool days are over for my little thrill-seeker. I spent quite a bit of time mourning this as I searched through my archives looking at his little baby swimming photos. When did he get so big and tall and boyish? Time...you are cruel, my friend. Cruel, cruel.

I'm sure we'll be back to the Aquatic Center soon and we have a few more pools on our summer list to check out before summer is over. Have you been getting out to the pool? Are your kids little pool sharks, too?

1 comment:

  1. Awwww ... the baby Michael swimming photos are precious!! He looks so excited, and I'm impressed he wants to go down the slide, too! We love checking out the small town pools (less crowd!). Keep cool : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails