Monday, May 9, 2011

Freezer Meals

**I've gone back and made a couple of edits- you will see them in red!!**


I think I am finally done with my freezer cooking in preparation for the new baby!

I've gotten a few inquiries about what I've been making, so I will share the master list with you. It is very different from the first time I did this, mostly because of the change of season. I just felt like lighter foods would be better for the end of May and beginning of June. I still have a few heavier things on the list, and I will be eating those right after I get home since that is when I will most likely be STARVING!! Anyone else experience that as a new mother? I could not eat enough after Michael was born....I get so angry when new mothers say they were so busy they forgot to eat because I don't think I could ever do that! Maybe that is the key to losing the baby weight faster?

Anyway, last time I did a marathon shopping/cooking day and made about 12 meals all in one shot. This time around I didn't have the luxury of having that much free time (or energy) so I planned a few extra meals to make throughout the week. I would just plan a freezer meal or two for that week and I would make one and we would eat one. It worked out really well and gave us a chance to taste the recipes since they were all new to us. It is a pretty good system and if I was supermom, I would totally do stuff like this all the time!

I kept a running list on my fridge as I made things so I would know how things were adding up. I think this should be at least 2-3 weeks worth of lunches and dinners with some extra things like frozen pizza and take-out thrown in.



Here is the list:

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Ham, Broccoli and Cheese Roll (this was a post-easter recipe to use up some of the huge ham I bought)

Grilled Chicken Pesto Wraps
*cooked the chicken and wrapped individually in foil, then put in freezer bag*

Black Bean and Mango Chicken Salad
*cooked everything, in freezer bag*

Buffalo Chicken Wraps
*cooked the chicken, assembled and wrapped individually in foil, then put in freezer bag*

Cheesy Potatoes (also a post-Easter recipe- we had cheesy potatoes with our ham dinner and I just whipped up an extra batch)
*assembled and frozen in foil pan, will thaw and bake when ready*

Foil-pack Chicken Fajita
*assembled and used a frozen chicken breast, then put in foil and in freezer bag. I cooked them once before with a frozen breast and it worked out well, I will probably let them thaw a bit before I put them on the grill*

Foil-pack Chicken and Mushroom Dinner
*same as above*

Baked Mommy Mac
*assembled and froze in foil pan, will thaw and bake when ready*
Link
Hammy Cheese (2) (also a post-easter ham recipe)
*assembled and froze in foil pan, will thaw and bake when ready*

Enchiladas (2)

Chicken Pesto Spinach Salad
*all cooked and assembled, in freezer bag*

I also thought I would do some breakfast things since I really like breakfast. I don't really have a lot of experience with freezing these types of foods so I hope they turn out okay.

Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Coffee Cake (this is to die for!)

Scrambled Egg Muffins

Apple Nut Muffins
*in freezer bag*

Breakfast Burritos
*also individually wrapped in foil, then in freezer bag*

The only holes I can see in my meal planning are things for Michael. Sometimes he will eat things we eat, and sometimes he just wants a hot dog and string cheese. Our fridge will be stocked with plenty of backups for him!

I had a lot of fun looking for good recipes to use and here are two of my favorite resources I found:

Once a Month Mom Freezer Cooking (I just picked recipes I thought that looked good, but to actually do the whole month long cooking thing is pretty cool!)

Kraft Foods (so good- every recipe has a photo and reviews)


Apple Muffins!

Here's to not going hungry after the new baby is here! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails