Monday, December 21, 2009

Staying Afloat

Wow, it was a busy weekend.

This weekend was a HUGE blessing for me. I joined Hope Orchestra at my church this fall and this past weekend we did our big performance- the Christmas Cantata. The orchestra and choir joined together and performed a whole service's worth of songs. The music was so powerful and it was so awesome to be part of something that touched many people!

I didn't take any photos, but I stole this one from my friend's facebook! (and I actually ran into her after the last service-so great to see her!) Hopefully I will be able to hunt down some more photos in the future to share!



On Saturday my parents came to visit for the day. It was nice to see them even if it was just for a short bit. Dad helped Scott in the basement while Mom and I played with Michael and tried to finish decorating for Christmas. Later that night they came to church to see the cantata with my aunt, uncle and grandparents who were in town for the weekend also. After the service we went over to my aunt and uncle's house for prime rib and cheesecake! It was so fun and it really felt like Christmas!
Do you ever just have those days where you feel so full of joy and don't want it to end? That was one of them...I couldn't fall asleep for a long time that night! I was so happy to be able to share the music and the message with my family. They had never seen anything like it before! Next year...I am inviting everyone I know. :o) So, hold me to it!

Sunday I played at three more services and then we had Scott's office out to the house to see our new (still unfinished) basement. I hadn't seen everyone for a long time and so even though it was a last minute gathering (I'm pretty sure Scott didn't tell me until the day before!) it was a good time had by all. I wish we could see everyone who is important to us during the holiday season...it is such a great time to reflect on another year gone by.

So after the very wonderful and joy filled weekend, we get to today. I watched the noon news and they told about seven variations of a huge storm coming this week. The newscaster even said to do your Christmas grocery shopping today and don't wait! Do you think that is some sort of ploy by the media to boost the economy? So I went out to HyVee and Costco and wow...it was a madhouse! I had never seen either place so busy ever, let alone at 1 on a Monday! It was really stressful, especially since I had a cranky baby in tow.

I absolutely hate how stressed out I get in preparing for the holidays. I have everything planned out to make it easier for myself and a huge list of things to do every day so nothing sneaks up on me, but still it doesn't feel easy. How can I simplify the holidays? Does anyone have any tips?

I finally got a moment to collect myself, while eating a McDonalds hamburger in my garage with a sleeping baby in his carseat. I read through some Christmas letters and my favorite was from Scott's aunt who sent a reminder that even though among all the hustle and bustle of Christmas the best gift is the free gift of God's forgiveness and an open door to Heaven for all those who choose to unwrap and accept it. It was just what I needed to hear on a day like today!

:o)

May all of you have a peaceful time leading up the big day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails