Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Summer List + TOMRV



Michael and I did something I have wanted to do for a long time- write up a summer list of things we wanted to do this summer! 

It was lots of fun to think of new ideas of things we haven't done and also add our old favorites to the list. I hope we can get them all checked off and keep you updated as we go. It gives us a little focus for my days off with Michael to hopefully give us lots of chances to have FUN! Not like every day isn't fun with Michael but...sometimes it is good to have some choices of what we want to do.


One of the first things on the list is TOMRV, which Scott and his family rode in this past weekend. TOMRV stands for Tour of the Missippissi River Valley and it is a bike ride from the quad cities to Dubuque and back again, all along the Mississippi River. I obviously did not ride in it, but felt like I was along for the ride since Michael and I were Scott's support vehicle and self-appointed photojournalist for the weekend.

They started out early on Saturday morning, leaving Scott's parent's at 5:30 to get a 7:30 start at Preston.



From Preston, they rode about 70ish (??) miles into Dubuque where they convened at Clarke College.  I was pretty proud of Scott for making it the whole ride! Some people say that the TOMRV is the hardest bike tour in the midwest and I can see why- it is brutally hilly!!

At Clarke, they had an awesome banquet dinner for all the riders with tons of yummy food and pie. I was happy that Michael and I got to join the riders for the food because it was awesome. One of my favorite parts of doing a bike tour is the food!


 
 On Sunday morning the riders got another early start and rode south back towards their home base. Scott, Susan and Jen unfortunately called for support about 15 miles in and wow...it was a brutal day with headwinds to boot. I was happy to be available to to pick them up and had fun spending the afternoon with them in a cramped two hour car ride back home!  We stopped back in Preston to pick up bags and we had a nice picnic lunch with Michael complete with playing, swinging, and popsicles.
  

They all did a great job and I am so proud of them! 

Great job on your first TOMRV ride and a great kickoff to summer!

1 comment:

  1. great summer list!!! i laugh when all of the bike rides are famous for pie -- sounds good to me : ). i think michael would really like the bass pro shop if you haven't been.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails