Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful


Happy Thanksgiving!

We are enjoying a very low key holiday today...we are basically just waiting for Scott's parents to arrive so we can go out to eat at one of our favorite local restaurants, who is having a great holiday special. We cleaned and got everything ready last night so we can just enjoy a peaceful house this morning. We are drinking coffee, reading newspaper ads, and getting ready for football watching later. Michael is busy telling stories to himself and playing with a great new toy I found him (a serving piece). 



We tried to do a little decorating this year for the holiday. After Halloween Michael asked me why our house wasn't decorated and I felt terrible. Of course he wants to decorate for every holiday- who doesn't? So we bought a kit of turkey ornaments that we worked hard on and hung up on door handles and I've been trying to put up his little things he brings home from preschool. 


I have so much to be thankful for this year. I think it is so important to always be mindful of your blessings, even when things are not feeling so bright. I know I am living a life that no one would ever trade me for (losing a child) and maybe it is crazy to still count my blessings...but it one of the few things that keeps me going. 

I was getting my hair done yesterday on my day off from school and there was a guy in there who was complaining about having his second child. He was saying how it was so terrible because he wouldn't be able to sleep any more and his wife would probably make him drive the mini-van. I usually try and let stranger's comments roll off my back but it just hurt my feelings so much to hear someone being so ungrateful the day before Thanksgiving, right as the holiday season is starting. I just wanted to ask him if he was really serious? Does he even hear what he sounds like? My goodness.

Even in our loss, I am so blessed. I am thankful every day that Trace was here with us so we could have him. I think how terrible it would be if we never even knew him or never even got to hold his sweet little body. 

I am so thankful for my son Michael and all the joy that he brings us. He is always joyful, energetic, positive and is such a blessing to us. 

I am thankful for my husband. I am thankful for our beautiful home. I am thankful we both have jobs that can support our family. I am thankful for my students who make it a joy for me to go to school every day. 

I am thankful for my whole family and especially for my mom's recovery from her accident. To hear doctors say things like, "awesome!" and "a miracle!" makes us appreciate how lucky we are. It makes me thankful that I have both my parents in my life and they still help guide me in the right direction. I am so thankful for my aunts who were able to be there with her when we weren't able and that she was able to get to the hospital right away. I am thankful for surgeons in other countries who can perform successful surgery on my mom's brain. I am thankful we were able to get her home swiftly and for everyone who helped make that possible. 

I am also thankful for the power or prayer and for everyone who continues to keep our family in their prayers. It works! I know it, I've seen it, I've felt it.

Have a blessed holiday!

3 comments:

  1. <3 Beautiful post. Happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rose. Thank you for your post. I always think of you and your family during the holidays and say an extra little prayer for you and your dear son Trace. I admire your ability to count your blessings despite your pain and you inspire me to appreciate all that I have been blessed with. Hugs to all of you, tell Michael and Scott hello from us. -LH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your house is great. And I think that daycare decorates for all holidays so it makes us parents look bad for not having construction paper cornucopias hanging everywhere. My mom confessed a couple of years back that all of the holiday decorating she did at our house was mostly for my benefit :) Moms are good stuff.
    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails