Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What a week!

It has been a heck of a week. A doozy, really. And it is only half over!

Today was the last day of school for the kiddos. We had a nice graduation ceremony for the 6th graders who will be going to a new building in the fall and I have to admit I got a little teary eyed. They have grown up so much in just the two years I have worked with them and I am so proud of their accomplishments!

I am always amazed at how by the end of the year we can all work together and create music together. At the beginning of the year we don't even know how to assemble our horns but by May we are sight reading entire sheets of music without any stops and pretty much all the right notes. I think that is something to be proud of! Sometimes I don't think my students realize what a gift it is to be able to make music...I hope one day they realize how talented and special they truly are!

This year was a hard school year for me as a teacher. I feel like I only gave a small percentage of what I should have in terms of energy and commitment to my job. Starting school being 8 months pregnant in August with no air conditioning (not exactly a good combo for job productivity), then a three month maternity leave, and then adjusting to the new schedule and life of a part time working mother (and daycare) really added up.

However, having this year under my belt I am really excited for next year to start. I have lots of ideas and new things I want to try now that I have a feel for the new routine and they way things work with our new administration. I even created a whole new list of "Ideas!" that I posted on my bulletin board at school. ha! :o)

I think I do one of those every year at the end of the school year...I should compile them in my portfolio so I can see what great ideas I have actually pan out!

At any rate, in the past two days my little beginner band as performed three times with a new set of music for each performance. That is a lot! Probably more ambitious than I wanted to be, but it is hard to change the new little traditions we have started at school like playing for the whole school at the end of the year, playing at the talent show, and doing a demonstration for the upcoming fourth graders. I guess that is cool if they remember these things from their younger years and want to do it themselves, right?

Tomorrow I will go in and finish up everything that needs to be done and then it is time for summer!!

Wahoo!



1 comment:

  1. 3 cheers for summer! Sounds like you had a great group of kids. I still remember taking music lessons learning how to play the french horn & the trumpet when I was a kid. I agree making music is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails