Friday, December 23, 2016

December and Home Tour

Wow! Is Christmas really just two days away!? Where has the month gone? It has flown by in our house and we are excited that the big day is so close. I am posting ALL my photos from the month in this post so brace yourself! 

I tried to be more deliberate with my camera this month, so I had some nicer photos than just my phone. I kept it out on the counter all month and tried to just snap away on Saturday mornings when we were all home together. I also tried to capture the background of our house at Christmas, it took Michael and I about a whole week to get it all decorated but we got it done. Michael got all antsy about getting the tree up right away after thanksgiving and I said hold your horses and I was glad I did because it is a lot to get it all out and up in one day. We did a little bit each night after the girls went to bed and it was all decorated with plenty of time the enjoy all month long. I kept saying, "Christmas day isn't tomorrow!" and plus...technically the Christmas season doesn't start until after Christmas day, in the church calendar. So there, all you people who put stuff up after October!! 

Anyway, on to the Christmas: 

ed1204161400

We saw Santa earlier in the month than usual and went after naptime instead of first thing in the morning and it worked out well. The kids loved going to the mall and playing at the playground and we all managed to eat a meal out afterwards. We chose poorly our restaurant choice as Panda Express was functioning as Panda Un-Express (what's the opposite of Express?) that night and it took forever to get our food. It is so tricky to take a family of five out to eat, especially when two are in high chairs that we need to choose our places carefully. Maybe HyVee Chinese take out is our safest option for Chinese in the future! 

Michael also had his school concert on December 1st. He did great and I loved seeing him sing and helping him practice his songs. We were getting the girls all ready to get out the door and to the concert when Brynn barfed everywhere right over the kitchen floor. We felt like we really dodged a bullet and were thankful it didn't happen in the car or during the concert. 

DSC_0005_edited-1

DSC_0012_edited-1

DSC_0015_edited-1

The girls both battled sickness back and forth between them with colds and the stomach bug. Scott and I both had to taken several days off work and to top it off, I had also been feeling under the weather for most of the month. It really is a hard time of year for me with back to back to back to back to back concerts and performances but I think I am finally feeling better in time for break. 

DSC_0028_edited-1

DSC_0027_edited-1

DSC_0040_edited-1

It finally snowed and then we had a SUPER below zero cold artic blast and now they are saying rain and 50 degrees on Christmas Day. I have no idea...I guess we will just get all the weather in the month of December. 

DSC_0043_edited-1

DSC_0045_edited-1

DSC_0055_edited-1
DSC_0077_edited-1

Our annual kids in the chair photo, taken in the rare moment when all their hair was fixed and clothes were clean. 

DSC_0067_edited-1

DSC_0119_edited-1

DSC_0126_edited-1

DSC_0134_edited-1

Jammies, crazy hair, runny nose, drool...typical Saturday morning from Brynn!

DSC_0136_edited-1

DSC_0138_edited-1
DSC_0152_edited-1

DSC_0141_edited-1

DSC_0156_edited-1

DSC_0153_edited-1

DSC_0159_edited-1

DSC_0158_edited-1
DSC_0163_edited-1

DSC_0165_edited-1
DSC_0168_edited-1

DSC_0173_edited-1

Mom and Dad came for the weekend to celebrate my niece's birthday and to see Michael's program at church. It was really nice and felt very Christmas-y. I wish they would have stayed longer! 

DSC_0181_edited-1
DSC_0209_edited-1
DSC_0221_edited-1

DSC_0169_edited-1
DSC_0232_edited-1

Full arms, full heart. We've had our basket of Christmas books out all month and have been reading them every night after dinner. The girls are so cranky after daycare that all we can do is snuggle and read and maybe play a little bit. It is not exciting but I know it is what they need at this time in their little lives. 

DSC_0240_edited-1

DSC_0244_edited-1

DSC_0246_edited-1

DSC_0249_edited-1
DSC_0256_edited-1

I saw Anna kissing Santa Claus. 

DSC_0243_edited-1
DSC_0261_edited-1

DSC_0268_edited-1

DSC_0283_edited-1

DSC_0265_edited-1
DSC_0296_edited-1
DSC_0305_edited-1

I didn't mean for our hockey sticks to be front and center on our Christmas tree! One of those things you don't notice until it is in a photo...plus Michael helped with the placement of our special ornaments, I'm just thankful all the Star Wars ones are in his special assigned spot (the back of the tree-ha!). 

DSC_0300_edited-1

DSC_0306_edited-1
DSC_0312_edited-1
DSC_0313_edited-1
DSC_0314_edited-1

I got a nice big wreath and two outdoor planters for the front of the house from our local HyVee. I usually go to Earl may but didn't have the time to run around this year. Luckily, our HyVee is open very early in the morning as usually I run some errands in the early a.m. before heading to school. 

DSC_0321_edited-1
DSC_0316_edited-1

DSC_0329_edited-1

DSC_0333_edited-1

DSC_0338_edited-1

I am forever thankful to my mom for making sure we have TWO singing Rudolphs! 

DSC_0345_edited-1
DSC_0342_edited-1
DSC_0354_edited-1
DSC_0356_edited-1
DSC_0359_edited-1
DSC_0364_edited-1

Our Jesse Tree Advent has been going really well and Michael makes sure I am on top of reading the story every night. I think it is mostly good for me to spend those few minutes each night reflecting on the meaning of Christmas, but I know Michael is thinking about it too. We read the whole Christmas story in an easy reader book he has and it took about 40 minutes but he got through it. It was probably the best thing for him to read the whole Christmas story himself and for me to hear it. It is so easy to lose sight of the true meaning of Christmas if you aren't careful about giving yourself time to reflect and celebrate the birth of Jesus. 

DSC_0366_edited-1
DSC_0371_edited-1
DSC_0358_edited-1
DSC_0379_edited-1

DSC_0389_edited-1

And finally, we made cookies! I always think it is only going to make a few and then it ends up being so many more cookies than we will ever eat. I tried to delay making them to right before Christmas so it gives me less time to snack on them. I think we'll decorate them tonight and then they will be all ready for Santa comes! 

DSC_0393_edited-1

My dad and sister will be here on Christmas Eve and then we are going to my aunt and uncles to celebrate with a big Christmas Day meal with my grandparents, brother's family and aunts and uncles. It should be nice and I am looking forward to mostly being tucked in warm and cozy at home. 

Have a Merry Christmas!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails