Saturday, December 31, 2016

Christmas Day!

We celebrated Christmas day at our house and it was so nice! My dad and sister were here to join us and we had a really nice time. It was low key, fun, enjoyable, not too much work for me, and I thought it all went really smoothly. 

We went to the 3pm Christmas Eve service at church and it was nice because all the kids could take a quick nap, then get a bath before they were all prettied up for church. We were thankful the service had nursery because I was not sure how I could handle both girls for over an hour in church! It is always funny to me how the nursery at church is filled with mostly two year olds as that seems to be the hardest age to keep entertained while in church. It was a really nice service and I had to try really hard not to bawl my eyes out the whole time (which is basically every service- maybe I should start a crying in church anonymous group?). I tried really hard to refocus on advent and simplifying this season, focusing on the birth of Jesus, and the Christmas Eve service was really a nice cherry on top and brought it all home. 

It was nice going to the 3pm service because then we had time to head over to the cemetery before it got too dark and cold. We sang Silent Night to baby Trace and lit some candles for him and then headed home. My mom also gave me the idea of lighting a candle by his tree at our house and I had never thought of that so maybe I will try it next year. I don't mind going out to the cemetery- it really puts things in perspective for me and forces me to hold my blessings close to my heart. Every year I think that Jesus must be having a heck of a birthday party in heaven. 

We came home and had a nice supper of soup (tortellini tomato with graziano sausage...tried something new), bread, veggie pizza (tradition) and meatballs (also tradition). We just had cookies for dessert and then everyone headed to be pretty early. Minus me, of course, since I had waited until literally the eleventh hour to wrap presents and had a huge stack to wrap! I had not had one single moment to do it before Christmas Eve...time really got away from me. 

I also had been feeling really run down the month of December, mostly due to a constant sore throat and also the result of a new medication I was taking. I finally went to the doctor to get on an antibiotic a week before Christmas (and stopped taking the medication on his advice) and tried to will myself to feel better in time for all the festivities. In all honesty, self care has been on the lowest rung of my priority ladder, and I know that has to change in 2017. Anytime I don't feel good it also kicks my anxiety into high gear and that results in less rest, which I should be getting more of, and it just spirals from there. Plus I feel like I never really recovered from my intense concert season and school is always as busy as ever. I'm happy to say I am feeling much better and I felt great the entire break. 

Anyway...here are some photos: 
DSC_0404_edited-1DSC_0406_edited-1DSC_0405_edited-1

DSC_0407_edited-1

DSC_0416_edited-1

DSC_0413_edited-1

DSC_0421_edited-1

The girls loved their new baby beds and accessories (pillows, blankets, pjs for baby) and were so excited to see them sitting out in front of the tree on Christmas morning! 

DSC_0428_edited-1
DSC_0427_edited-1

DSC_0432_edited-1

DSC_0436_edited-1
DSC_0437_edited-1

Michael got some new Megbloks sets (he didn't Legos!), a Skylanders card game, Harry Potter books 4-6, Pete's dragon, Finding Dory, and new fluffy jammies.

DSC_0438_edited-1
DSC_0439_edited-1
DSC_0434_edited-1
DSC_0457_edited-1
DSC_0459_edited-1

The girls were excited to get new Legos just for them (Disney Junior ones---sooooo cute!) and knew immediately what they were when they were opened. "Wegos!" Anna said so excitedly. Santa was smart and brought two of each set and they both have special pieces and heaven forbid girls had to share. The also both got new Magna Doodle pads which are so fun. 
Santa couldn't resist these Moana legos! 

DSC_0466_edited-1
DSC_0469_edited-1

DSC_0477_edited-1
DSC_0480_edited-1

DSC_0478_edited-1
DSC_0484_edited-1

DSC_0486_edited-1
DSC_0489_edited-1
DSC_0500_edited-1

All the kids also got these cute stuffed kittens and they kids LOVE them! Michael's is different and the girls are the same. Also I am happy the girls each have one because of the sharing thing. 

DSC_0492_edited-1

DSC_0505_edited-1
DSC_0508_edited-1
DSC_0509_edited-1

By far one of the most popular gifts for Anna was a little box of wrapped up white fudge covered oreos. She kept trying to steal them and hide in a corner to eat them. Where does she learn that? 

DSC_0506_edited-1

Scott got a Chad Greenway autographed football and photo compliments of my sister who had a shoot with him for her company. She also got me the Naked 3 palette which I had been wanting! It's beautiful! 

DSC_0511_edited-1
DSC_0513_edited-1
DSC_0517_edited-1
DSC_0516_edited-1

We had a nice breakfast of baked french toast (also a tradition), oranges and mimosas. 

DSC_0519_edited-1

DSC_0531_edited-1
DSC_0539_edited-1

We then packed up and headed over to my Aunt Gwen and Uncle Bill's in West Des Moines for Christmas Day. The girls had fun reading books with their grandpa and aunts. Michael had fun playing his new Skylanders card game with his old Grandma and my cousins. We all had fun watching my uncle feed his pet squirrel (that is fattest squirrel I've ever seen!, Michael said). I enjoyed playing with my nieces and catching up with family and most importantly.... not cooking a big prime rib roast (the pressure for perfection is too much!). 




I know it is hard to open your open up to so many little ones, but are thankful my aunt and uncle invited us all over. It was a really nice day!

That is our Christmas in a nutshell! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails