Thursday, September 25, 2014

Week Two with the Twins

Yesterday the girls turned two weeks old! It is so crazy to me that they have been here this long already and time is flying by. They are both such sweet girls and are so fun to have in our life. 

Things are going really well and I thought I would share a little about what is happening at home. We have a pretty good routine down but it is time consuming. Yesterday it was time to pick up Michael and I had gotten nothing accomplished except feed babies and rest after their doctor's appointment! Where does the time go? 

The girls are eating on a three hour schedule. Basically I interpret that as not letting them go longer than three hours without eating because sometimes they will want to eat at the two hour mark. I try to hold them off if it has only been an hour because usually I think they are not really hungry, just fussy. For the first week, I would nurse them then we would feed them a bottle and then I would pump. This whole process would take over an hour and by the time we were finished I felt like I was just waiting around for them to get hungry again so we could start again. The second week I only nursed them except for the night feeding where my mom or Scott would give them a bottle of either formula or pumped breast milk. Having someone else do night feeding has been really nice as it gives me a big chunk of time to sleep which is the most I get at night. I will do their evening feed (usually anywhere from 8-10pm) and then hand them off while they are sleeping and for their next feeding anywhere from 11-2 a.m. It really helps if the extra person can keep them until their next feeding because sometimes the little noises they make keep me up and make me anxious. I've been having a string of nights where they will fuss and fuss after a feeding until their next feeding and that is hard to deal with. Otherwise they will usually go right back to sleep and sleep soundly until it is time to eat again. Scott and I have been on our own for a few days and it sounds like the girls are doing well during his feedings so I don't feel too guilty about handing them over to him if he can get some shut eye in between as well. 

Speaking of being alone, I have been with the girls by myself for two days! Don't worry- this is just a little break in between help and I will have reinforcements here again soon! :o) I finally started nursing the girls in tandem and it has been really fun and makes things a lot easier. I was really nervous about it because I was afraid they would both be fussy or I would drop them or who knows what other irrational fear I was thinking of. Turns out, they are doing great with it and I love it. I had been feeling bad that I couldn't sit around all day and snuggle the girls one at a time because the next one would be ready for their feeding and now I can snuggle them both after they are done eating for as long as I want. It is really special and I am proud of myself for doing it! I am hoping this will help them get their schedules in sync as well (fingers crossed-haha). 

In terms of my recovery, things are continuing to go well. I've pretty much stopped all painkillers as the high dose of ibuprofen was making me feel dizzy and the lower dose didn't seem to do much for pain relief. I feel the most pain at night, and its worse after a busy day. Yesterday was my first day driving and I took the girls to their appointment and was also lifting the carseats by myself. I had to load them up again to go get Michael from daycare and just that extra bit really wore me out and I was pretty sore at bedtime. However, I am happy to have "freedom" in terms of getting out of the house and behind the wheel but I am too scared to go anywhere besides somewhere that has a drive through! 

I have not been doing a very good job lately of taking photos of the girls with my real camera and I need to get it out more. I got very scared as I took a whole bunch of them and then when I was editing I couldn't tell who was who!! We had their newborn photos taken last weekend (can't wait to see their gallery!) and the photographer said she held up a card with their name on it before starting a series of individuals so she could tell who was who when editing. I will have to start doing that although it is getting easier for us to tell them apart without second guessing ourselves. Hopefully I will share more soon! 

Thanks for stopping by! 


  1. Oh, their little pink hats are just too adorable! I think that it's admirable that you are doing ANY blogging at all right now, so well-done Rose! You caused me to start thinking about how this winter is going to look like with taking Lucan anywhere ... ugh. I do not look forward to heavy carseats!!

  2. SO precious!! Congrats again and glad things are going well. Thinking about you!


Related Posts with Thumbnails