Monday, June 29, 2020

Father's Day

Father's Day was a big milestone for me in grieving my dad's death. Last year on Father's Day is when we got the call from my sister that we should come and see him in the hospital, and it was the last day he was well enough to talk with all of us and see the kids. Also this year Father's Day was the same day as my dad's birthday and also right after the one year anniversary of his death. 

That is three big days right in a row and I was dreading them for weeks. There is just something powerful about seeing special dates looming on the calendar that remind you of the passing of time. After the days passed, it was a relief to know that we made it through them and it was another mountain we had climbed and come over on the other side. 

My dad's estate was also settled this week due to the hard work put in by my mom and brother. It was another milestone that I think everyone was happy to check off the list and now we can move forward. It is a true passing of legacies and I am praying that my brother is a good steward of the land and animals to provide for his family. I know it is not an easy life but one that takes a lot of faith and bravery. 
Image may contain: 2 people, beard, eyeglasses, baby and indoorImage may contain: 3 people, people sitting and baby

So I spent much of the time around Father's Day remembering my dad and being thankful for all the time we had with him. The girls have been talking about him a lot and they seem to understand how fleeting their time together with him was. I am hopeful that he can stay alive to them with our stories and memories. Every fun thing we do I just know that Dad would have loved it as he was always up for an adventure and something new. Even during an argument with Scott (while cleaning the garage of course) I reminded Scott that my dad always said it was okay to be mad, you just can't take your anger out on someone you love. I think that is awesome advice. 

7CBFBC51-3F31-4B6A-83F1-29BFC12D4439.jpeg

On Father's Day Sunday we surprised Scott with a scavenger hunt leading to his favorite goodies hidden in all his favorite spots. We also had an awesome breakfast and went mini-golfing! 

CCA69721-AB56-4283-8042-1EFC529BC035.jpeg
A0C56AED-B45E-46AD-BB70-59092E8CD658.jpeg

255FB68F-F7A8-4D46-88AC-D69A5B73780B.jpeg

We had planned a canoe float but it was postponed because of isolated thunderstorms so we took the trip the following Sunday instead. It turned out to be a nice day and we had an awesome time on the water. We floated eight miles down the Racoon River. It took us about two and a half hours, and that was not even hardly paddling. We only had one incident where we tipped trying to get out at the boat ramp but other than that it was smooth sailing. 

1BAE0187-352C-4C06-A028-800CEA074682.jpeg
EF985D34-B898-41A7-BB7A-4D0209386768.jpegB650C76F-47D4-42E1-8847-AFFCE7115FC9.jpeg

9DA83FB6-45CF-4C4F-8E52-915CB7449375.jpeg

Overall, it was a great time to celebrate and remember the dads in my life. We are thankful Scott is such a good provider for us and keeps us safe. He keeps everything in working condition and is the captain of Team Kundel! We couldn't do it without him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails