Sunday, January 25, 2009

Flight 232 remembered

Fact #1: I am a huge newspaper nerd.
Fact #2: I must read the entire Sunday edition of the newspaper while drinking my coffee.


To support these facts, I am decided to share with you a particularly moving story today in the Iowa Life section of the DesMoines Register.

John Carlson wrote a very nice article about how the pilot of the Flight 232 Crash would love to talk to the pilot of the recent Hudson River Crash. You can read the article here.

For many people, I'm sure the Flight 232 crash on July 19th, 1989 is no big deal. But, for me...it is a pretty big deal. I remember it all so well, which is a big deal since I was only 7 at the time.

What happened was a Douglas DC-10 was en route from Denver to Chicago when both of the engines failed and they had to crash land in Sioux City, Iowa--just miles from my home. It was headed for the Sioux City Gateway airport, but it missed the runway and had to cartwheel to a crash landing in a corn field.


The images from that day are crystal clear in my memory-watching the news on TV of the burning plane flying right over people's houses, my mom hearing the news and rushing to get ready for work to go in on a day she was off, seeing all the small town's ambulances and fire trucks lined up and ready to rescue people at the airport.

Later, my dad took my brother and I to see the wreckage at the field. It was mind boggling-there were pieces of airplane everywhere. I just stared, my fingers in the chain link fence. Little did I know, this would be a memory to stay with me my whole life.

I know you are probably thinking-I should be talking about the recent "Miracle on the Hudson", and believe me, that has been in my thoughts as well. My gosh, I truly do believe it is a Miracle...how can a plance crash-land on water and the most serious injury is a broken leg? Unbelievable. Thank you, Lord for watching over your people.

But in Flight 232, not everyone survived. 110 of the 285 passengers survived the flight. My mom is a nurse and the pilot of the flight was on her floor after the crash. He asked her how many people had survived the crash, and she told him, and then he asked,
"What happened to the rest of the passengers?"

The pilot of Flight 232 is a hero in my mind-it is a miracle anyone survived the crash.

Here are some images of that day:

Please click on any of the pictures to learn more about Flight 232.






Thanks for letting me share...a home decor post will resume shortly!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails